Thursday, December 4, 2014

"Priorities and perspective..."

"Because thy lovingkindness is better than life, my lips shall praise thee.  Thus will I bless thee while I live: I will lift up my hands in thy name." (Ps 63:3-4)

Life, itself, can be a bumpy ride.  I can be wrought with potholes and speed bumps, falling rocks, rain, snow and ice, as well as a smooth highway with beautiful scenery.  It can include nightmares and daydreams.  It will have good days and bad days.  It will be, regardless, an interesting journey.

Most people don't get the smooth ride with the beautiful scenery, though.  Yet, those who do are often the ones who feel the need to flaunt their good fortune in an attempt to make others jealous.  They pretend to thank God for all their blessings and can make one question why they are so "fortunate".  The expression "the grass is always greener on the other side" is the phrase that belongs here.

I'm not one who has a lot of anything.  I never have.  I have always had just what I need.  There has never been a time where I lived in a box under a bridge, rummaged through trash cans for food or had nothing to wear but the clothes on my back.  There has always been someone to comfort me, to hug me and to remind me that it is not this life I need to concern myself with.  It is not what I accumulate or accomplish here on earth that matters.  My future does include what I do here, but not what I own or the places I've gone or the people I've impressed!

God's love supersedes all the warmth, all the love and certainly all the pain I have experienced here on earth.  His constant guiding hand and the blessings he bestows is worth more than any material thing I could ever own.  Knowing that he knows my name is more important than having the latest chart-topping performing group pose for a picture with me.

Living a life that is pleasing to him is the single most important accomplishment anyone could ever have in their repertoire.  Praise his name without being embarrassed.  Lift your voice and your hands to show the gratitude in your heart!  You don't need to have everyone on the planet "oohing and aahing" over your accomplishments - you only need for him to notice the good works you do in his name!  Put this life into perspective with the next...which one is more important?