Saturday, December 27, 2014

~ "The great commission..."

"Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost..." (Matthew 28:19)

The disciples were to baptize people because baptism unites believes with Jesus Christ in their death to sin and resurrection to new life.  Baptism symbolizes submission to Christ, a willingness to live God's way, and identification with God's covenant people.

Baptism is scriptural, but not essential for salvation.  Baptizing infants does not "guarantee" them something they may or may not believe in later on in life.  It does not give them a "pass" to enter eternity if they should die young.

I was taught that it is most important to baptize a baby within the first month "just in case"!!!  I followed the rules even with a dozen questions rolling around in my mind.  What happens to babies that are miscarried?  What happens to babies that are aborted? What happens to babies whose parents don't believe in God and die shortly after birth?  The place sits on the border of hell and is called Limbo.  One of the more absurd things I was ever taught.  Yes, they died with "original sin" so were prevented from entering heaven!

I've learned a few things since grammar school and high school.  There were many things I questioned over the years but this one truly bothered me.  After researching and reading my Bible, I have been able to put aside that nightmare knowing that all of my miscarried siblings, my miscarried children and the young girl up the street from me who had a seizure and died at age five, are, in fact, with Jesus!  Water does not save souls, Jesus does!

I understand those who have been brainwashed by doctrine and misinterpretation of the Word.  I don't understand their inability to at least look at what is written as opposed to what it taught!  Years and years of training and upbringing are hard to break, but definitely worth a try.  God will not condemn you to hell for examining his Word outside the context of religion.  If anything, he will bless you for your courage and strength!  Take a moment and open a King James Version or even a New King James Version if you find reading the KJV difficult.  Read the Word for yourself, see what the message truly is!  Open your heart to accept THAT word!