Tuesday, October 4, 2011

~ "Three weddings and a few decades later..."


Rejoice with them that do rejoice, and weep with them that weep. (Rom 12:15)

My first fiance and I set our wedding date for October 4, 1975. That day came and went and he got married in April 1976, but not to me. Out of necessity, his wife and I became very good friends. Out of love for one another, we've remained friends. When they divorced, she offered to give him back to me - I decided to keep her instead - she was much better company. Some years later, I attended her second wedding, and that same year, she walked down the aisle as one of my bridesmaids. We have shared many joys and many sorrows. She rejoiced with me at the birth of my daughters (one even carries her name as their middle name) and I have wept with her at the death of a child. We still joke, laugh and cry at certain memories. She is more like a sister than a friend and I cherish the history God has allowed us to build.

I have other friends - friends I've shared laugher and tears with, crazy and insane stunts, friends I've known since Kindergarten and elementary school. I have a few friends from high school. I have friends from my "married" life and friends I made through my children. I have friends from church. I have friends I'm made through work and friends I'm met on the internet. I cherish them all. I rejoice with them, I weep with them.

Our heavenly Father calls us to be compassionate and understanding. He calls us to love and honor, to respect and support those who are part of our lives. Our joys are made up of little fragments of our lives, as are our tears. We can laugh and weep in solitude, but they do not take on the same fullness as when shared with others. Jealousy has no place in true friendship. The constant "stealing" of the lives, dreams and desires of others (or stealing their thunder), takes away from that bond that holds a friendship together. Always being the "needy" friend and never the "giver" does not insure for a lasting friendship - it only serves to hold the friend hostage. All relationships, like a marriage, are give and take. Some days you take more, some days you give more. Balance is the key.

Sharing your life with someone else can be scary and joyful all at the same time. Letting someone "in" to get to know you a little better can leave you open to hurt; yet without taking that chance, you could lose a good friend before you ever have the chance to make one. Opening your heart to God poses no chance of hurt or loss. He offers you a love and a companionship that is unlike any other you've ever had or will ever experience. Take the chance to get to know Him. Thank Him for the opportunity to experience the joys and the sorrows of your life. Praise Him and give Him glory - rejoice! He is the key to your happiness (regardless of what others may tell you). Put Him first and keep Him first! His blessings are real, they are glorious and they are eternal! You are loved! Don't ever forget that!!!

(photo by Sandra Wood)