Thursday, October 6, 2011

~ "Sans-serif..."


Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God's one and only Son. (John 3:18)

I watched last night as my news feed on Facebook continued to scroll with the news of the death of Steve Jobs.  I sat a MacBook, listening to iTunes.  The very first computer to enter our home in the early 90's was an Apple IIe.  My brother-in-law had given it to my son.  He had used it in college.  My favorite program was "Print Shop".  With the use of a special floppy disk, a printer and continuous feed paper, you could make banner, have it say whatever you wanted and had multiple "fonts" to choose from.  In 1994, my son went off to college and when he came home for the holidays, he brought with him his Apple Performa.  I still have the box it came in (packed with something).  Needless to say, my family has owned PC's, but nothing compares to the quality and design of the Mac.  It is our preference and our choice (yes, we all have a MacBook).  Steve Jobs' innovation will be missed in my home!

The choices we make in life are reflected in what we have been introduced to; what we have come to know.  Our choices stem from comparison, application, availability and what we are "comfortable" with.  Serving God for me, has been a decision I do not regret.  I know that when all is said and done, I will rejoice in Heaven with Him.  But what about those who choose to follow "other gods" - what about all their successes here on earth?  Do they not count for anything?  Are all their good works, great ideas and innovative inventions done in vain?  Sadly enough, without God, you have nothing.  Without Jesus, there is no Heaven.

We cannot delude ourselves into thinking that God will make exceptions for the brilliant, the givers, the innovators and the geniuses.  They are all afforded the same opportunity to follow that the struggling Christian is afforded.  It is sad, but it is their choice.  Sometimes the smartest people are the dumbest ones.  They "think" too much for their own good.  They analyze what they should just trust.  They build and create an environment that does not include God.  Why would He made an exception for them?  All He asks is that we believe and have faith!  It's not rocket science (or in Mr. Jobs' case, computer science).  Use the gifts and talents God gives you, and give back to Him through your faith, devotion and prayers.  Rejoice in His will for you (even if it's not what you'd like).  Accept His will for you (even if you don't understand it).  Acknowledge His will for you (approach it with a smile and devotion).  

Without God, without Jesus, without the Holy Spirit - all you have is the air that you breathe.  Someday you will take your last breath and what comes next will be determined by how you lived your life here.  Will you be able to say "I have honored Your name, I have sung Your praises, I have followed Your path"...will you hear "this one is known to me" and "well done"???  Don't guess - be sure!  Get to know God now - before you see His face, for if you don't you will only see it once!