Saturday, November 8, 2014

~ "Punishment..."

"For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth." (Prov 3:12)

I can remember my father telling me "this is gonna hurt me more than it does you".  I found that statement rather absurd since I was the one on the receiving end of the spanking!  It wasn't until I had children of my own that I understood the meaning of the statement.  It had nothing to do with the infliction of physical pain, it had to do with my heart, which at the time I handed down the punishment, broke into pieces because the punishment "hurt" my child, and seeing my child hurt, in turn hurt me.

That kind of love is uncomfortable, but necessary.  It molds children into good, moral people who understand the difference between right and wrong and also understand there are consequences for their actions.  The expression "God will punish you for that" are often said when we witness someone get away with an awful crime.  We are very quick to acknowledge the judgement of God when it comes to others, but not so quick to accept the reality that we, too, will also face that same judgement one day!

And even in all those wrongs we do, the sins we continue to commit, there is a promise!  Just as with our children when they "let us down", the love remains (well, for most parents this is true).  We've forgiven them before we even hand down the punishment.  The same is true of our Heavenly Father, who has already forgiven all of our misdeeds through our acceptance of Jesus as our Savior!  Our Brother has already received our punishment and has allowed us the opportunity to be right with God.

Once again, accept what comes your way, be it something you determine to be a blessing or a punishment, knowing that it has already passed through the Father's hands!