Sunday, August 4, 2013

~ "Elihu's job..."

I said, I will answer also my part, I also will shew mine opinion.
For I am full of matter, the spirit within me constraineth me.
Behold, my belly is as wine which hath no vent; it is ready to burst like new bottles.
I will speak, that I may be refreshed: I will open my lips and answer.
Let me not, I pray you, accept any man's person, neither let me give flattering titles unto man.
For I know not to give flattering titles; in so doing my maker would soon take me away. (Job 32:17-22)

Job.  A man of faith, patience and endurance.  He was a generous and caring person.  He was very wealthy.  He allowed his desire to understand why he was suffering to overwhelm him and caused to to question God.  He learned, as we all do, that knowing God is better than anything and that pain is not always punishment.  God took everything from Job and yet he continued to praise Him.  Job's friends weren't as understanding - and the story goes on...

In Job 32, a young man by the name of Elihu, puts his two cents in.  As I read this chapter this morning, it brought me to a place of comfort, because knowing God is truly more important than knowing the "why" of anything!  Even as I begin the rough draft of a letter I must write, I need to remember that it can be written in such a way that I can get my point across without pointing fingers and blaming others.  The wisdom to choose the right words comes from knowing God.

We all know the difference between the truth and the truth stretched.  It is not enough to know the difference, you have to live it - in every area of your life.  God is the only source of real wisdom - Elihu recognized that truth.  You can read "self help" books to your heart's content, find "answers" in books written about how to do things better (then turning it around and applying to all areas of your life) - but without the word of God written across your heart, nothing you do will matter.  For all things are done for HIS glory, not ours.  We don't work to make someone else happy (although it is nice to have the boss' ear and have him see what a good job you are doing), we work for GOD'S glory!  He will bless us and reward us far greater than any earthly reward given to us by a fellow human being. Obtaining wisdom is an ongoing process, something we do throughout our lives...something we must make PART of our lives.  We must continue to LEARN!

God has blessed me, as I say often, with a small group of friends, who are not like those of Job.  They don't assume that my suffering is the result of any sin I have committed, or that I have "wronged" God.  They continue to remind me that God is not punishing me, but preparing me for what He has yet to give me.  They continue to encourage me to trust in Him, to wear my faith and that even when I feel alone, God is always with me.  Sometimes I fight them, but in my heart, I know they are right - because written across my heart IS the Word of God!!!