Thursday, October 4, 2012

~ "Earthen Vessels..."

(photo by Celia Darrigo)
Except the LORD build the house, they labour in vain that build it: except the LORD keep the city, the watchman waketh [but] in vain. (Ps 127:1)
One of the very first Christian albums I ever heard (aside from my Nana's recording of "The Old Rugged Cross" recorded by Elvis Presley) was "Earthen Vessels", recorded by the St. Louis Jesuits. My parents purchased one when it was released in 1975. My mother also purchase the sheet music and I purchased my own copy of the record in 1995. The album contains some very peaceful and beautiful arrangements. One of the songs is taken directly from Psalm 127.

When we are troubled, when we feel we are falling, we are told to go back to the cross - to go back to where we first met Jesus. For many of my friends here in Tennessee, they can tell you the date and the day and some even can tell you the time they "got saved". I cannot. Not that it wasn't important (because salvation is THE most important treasure in my life), but because in being raised in a Catholic, emphasis was not put on acknowledging that, there was never an opportunity to make a conscious decision to accept Christ as the Savior. It was understood. 

In searching for that one, precise moment in time when I accepted Jesus (so as not to be different from all of my Christian friends) I realized that God knows when it was! Then, I remembered this album. I remembered the feeling of awe that hit me when I first began to know Jesus. Everything I have, everything I am is because Jesus loves me! Everything I become is because he allows it to be. My salvation comes in the form of a gift from God. His mercy and grace in my life is the ultimate joy. Without him, all I do is worthless. 

Do not let your good works fall by the wayside. Do not boast that you've given to an organization or helped that family or even that you help at the homeless shelter on Thanksgiving. Give him the glory for all that you do, for without his gift of salvation and your acceptance thereof, all you do is in vain. Be the anonymous giver and your acknowledgements will reach the top of the mountains!