Wednesday, May 2, 2012

~ "That wasn't in the travel brochure..."


David said moreover, The LORD that delivered me out of the paw of the lion, and out of the paw of the bear, he will deliver me out of the hand of this Philistine. And Saul said unto David, Go, and the LORD be with thee. (1 Sam 17:37)

I have noticed that in the past five years, there are certain things that no longer bother me; things I am no longer afraid of.  Why?  Quite simply - because where I go, the Lord goes with me.

I was on one of God's journeys one day.  Those are the ones He lays on my heart, the ones Satan tries to dissuade me from, the ones I know will bring glory to HIS name.  My faithful GPS took me through the streets of Philly without incident until the little checkered flag popped up and told me I'd reached my destination.  Well, the place I was headed was not there.  Being smarter than the GPS, I drove a bit, turned around and drove back thinking that maybe I should have made a left instead of a right.  After a block or two, I pulled over at a corner and called the place I was headed.  "Where are you?"  So I announced my coordinates..."We'll be right there".  Within less than a minute, there were two smiling faces saying "follow me"...so I did.  Long story short - I was sitting on the worst possible corner to be sitting at.  I was not phased by this news, just shrugged my shoulders and said "oh".  God was with me, what was there to fear?  I was going to see what kind of assistance I could offer this little mission because the Lord laid it on my heart to do so.  

When I was reminded  that I want faith like Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego, I was reminded also that David went places that weren't very popular either.  He faced some pretty serious enemies in his day and God never let him down.  He fought a giant and won, he faced the lion and came out unharmed, he proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that God will protect and provide for those who commit their lives to Him without hesitation, without question.  

Most of us live relatively "safe" lives.  We don't do anything purposefully to put ourselves in "harm's way".  We deal with our demons and our problems quietly and often shamelessly.  We forget where we could be if God removed His hand from our lives.  Not all of us were fortunate enough not to fall prey to the drug and alcohol scene, the the prostitution of the body, to the thievery that lurks deep in the heart or the anger that consumes the mind.  Are "those people" not children of the King?  Were they not created in His image?  Do they not deserve the chance to choose and to have Jesus save them as well?  One person asked me - "well, couldn't you find a mission in a "nicer" section of town?" -- I'm not going to even justify that with an answer!

When I was about 10 years old, I'd save my allowance and send it to a missionary organization based out of upstate New York.  They'd send me a little magazine every month.  One day I got a letter from the then head of this organization and we became pen pals.  He had received a letter from my father, explaining how it was that my contribution came to him.  I loved the idea of bringing Christ to others then, I still love the idea today.  It was not in God's plan for me to serve in that "capacity".  I had to experience the life I've experienced in order to serve Him the way He is calling me to serve.  

Go where He sends you, do what He asks you to do!  Live the life HE has prepared for YOU - even if that plan takes you places you never dreamed you'd go or would never want to be.  He is there!