Friday, September 16, 2011

~ "Counting sheep??? Na-a-a-a-h!!!"


I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety. (Ps 4:8)

I have tossed and turned the pass two nights. Sleep has not come easy. The alarm blaring at 6:20am isn't helping matters either. I am thankful that tomorrow morning I do not have to get up with the birds!

The reason for the lack of continuous sleep is most likely my mind working overtime. It occasionally does that. What comes from those sleepless nights is usually a revelation into what the Lord is continuing to prepare me for. He is drawing me closer still!

Continuing to walk with Jesus can be exhausting, yet in that exhaustion we can find comfort. Once God has revealed to us what He needs for us to see, we can once again, "lie down and sleep in peace". Too often our days are so busy that although we take time out to read His word and pray, the distractions drown out the sound of His voice. Sometimes that sleepless night can be His way of getting our attention and reminding us of His promises and of what is important. Don't discount your dreams, but "test" them as we are instructed to in Thessalonians. Remember that not all dreams are messages from God and that evil can worm its way in there as well. Only through prayer, a constant walk with Jesus and a soul in tune with the Holy Spirit, can we hope to know if they are personal prophecies from God.

Sleep will come - when we lie down in peace, in the comfort of the arms of Jesus.