Wednesday, October 22, 2014

~ "A right to be happy..."

"He that believeth on the Son hath everlasting life: and he that believeth not the Son shall not see life; but the wrath of God abideth on him." (John 3:36)

No, I don't think I want to remain under God's angry judgement.  It's not a price I'm willing to pay with eternity for to experience some selfish joy now.

Some very "touchy" subjects come to mind with this verse.  They bring to light individual choices that we make in the quiet, private recesses of our own minds.  Each of us, singularly, has decisions to make as humans and as Christians.  I learned long ago that yes, I have a right to be happy, but not before or above God's right!  It is human nature to want peace and comfort and joy in our lives.  But what is the cost of those things?

Often our minds wander into places that are best left uncharted.  I find that territory a bit frightening so I stop midway through the thoughts.  I don't allow myself that luxury.  It will not, in any way, be beneficial in my NEXT life.  Some would say that by denying that, I am denying myself happiness.  Perhaps; but when laid against the fiber of eternal happiness, there is no comparison.  God's word tells us specifically what we can and cannot do while we await his call home; while we await the second coming of Christ.  Eternal life is a sure thing for me.  I know where I'm going when I leave this mortal existence.  I'm not willing to gamble against it.

Take the time to allow yourself the opportunity to weigh your own choices, not the choices of others.  After all, those are THEIR choices.  Be educated in your life choices!  Understand the consequences of them!  Is temporary joy and happiness worth eternal absence of God's love?  Will the decisions you make today be something to regret for all of eternity?  Will any choice you make for happiness in this life be sufficient to carry you through the next? If the answer is no, or you aren't sure - stay the decision.  It is better to be longing for "love" in this life and know that it will come in the next...