Thursday, March 8, 2012

"...these days of Purim should not fail..."


And that these days should be remembered and kept throughout every generation, every family, every province, and every city; and that these days of Purim should not fail from among the Jews, nor the memorial of them perish from their seed. (Esther 9:28)

Purim.  What began at sunset last night, continues throughout today for me.  I spent last evening baking Hamantaschen cookies (but I forgot the yeast for the Challah, so we'll forego that this time).  I will be preparing a celebratory dinner at my son's tonight and introducing my granddaughter to the story of Esther.  Yes, I know she is only 7 months old and will not understand a word that I am saying.  Tradition is still tradition.

I know that some of my readers do not understand - yes, I am a Christian.  Yes, my granddaughter will be raised in a Christian faith, but her heritage is shared...she is Irish, Italian, Russian and Jewish!  Just as she will celebrate St. Patrick's Day, St. Joseph's Day (which is her parents' wedding anniversary), Christmas, Easter and all the other holidays and holy days - she will also be exposed to the Jewish traditions and customs of her grandfather and her great-grandparents (with a little help from her Italian Nonna)!

Esther (Hadassah) was an orphan, raised by Mordecai, who won a beauty contest and became Queen of Persia.  Haman (hisssss) convinced King Ahasuerus that all the Jews should be killed because Mordecai would not bow to him, he would only bow to God.  Esther told her husband that she was Jewish and he became angry with Haman (hissss), and the gallows that Haman (hisssss) had built from which to hang Mordecai, served as his own ending.  The Jews were commanded to keep the holiday of Purim forever as a day of thanksgiving and feasting and joy; of sending gifts to friends and money to the poor. And that is just what the Jewish people have been doing for the past 2,400 years!

Without Esther, the line of David would have been destroyed.  Jesus is descended from that line. Celebrate the courage of Esther, the loyalty of Mordecai, the power of God and the promise of hope in Jesus today!  Celebrate Purim with your family!  Remember!