Saturday, July 9, 2011

~ "Learn that verse..."


Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim 2:15)

I really must get more sleep - or a larger coffee cup! The alarm clock is not my friend and Satan would rather I stay in bed, not write this post and just do nothing of any significance today! Sorry, he loses!

Yes, today's verse is the model for the "AWANA Clubs" (Approved Workmen Are Not Ashamed). No matter how old we get, no matter how well-versed in the Bible we become, there is always room for more knowledge. This morning I'm off to a workshop at my church. The speaker, a learned man from Tennessee (yes, I know), will be instructing us on how to better know the Old Testament (it's chronology, key verses, etc).

The enemy would much rather I stay at home and do nothing. The more knowledge of God's word we attain, the more of a threat we become to him. I'd like to be the equivalent to the atomic bomb! Knowing God's word enables me to know God! His love letter to me is filled with wonderful stories of His compassion, His justice and He answers every question I could have within those pages. All that He expects from me is also written in there. His truths are laid out for all to discover. All I need to do is read it and then live it.

Take the time to discover the joy that is hiding in plain view to anyone who picks up His word! Find yourself a Bible study class, or start your own. There are many wonderful study guides on the marked (and a lot of them on Amazon for a fraction of the cost). If you don't have the time to do a "group" - do it on your own. Get to know the Creator through an "in depth" walk through the Bible. Pick a book you are particularly drawn to and find a study guide that compliments it. You can never hope to know all the wonderful things there are in His word, but if you take the time to read it and study it, you will be a little more knowledgeable tomorrow than you were yesterday!

Don't be ashamed to admit you love God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit! Don't hesitate to get to know the purpose and plan that has been laid out for you! Study and show yourself "approved". Know the Word of God! Don't leave it to the 20 minute sermon you listen to on Sunday morning...take the initiative to get to know Him better! There is a whole world of wonder waiting for you in those pages! All you need to do is open and read! Take the time today...it may be the only opportunity you get to truly come to know the Lord before He calls you home!!!