Friday, February 11, 2011

~ "I will..."


"And even as they did not like to retain God in their knowledge, God gave them over to a reprobate mind, to do those things which are not convenient (Rom 1:28)"

Sometimes God is very adamant about what it is he wants us to do. Yesterday, I foolishly told a friend that I do not have scripture memorized like my the rest of my friends - my comment was that I know the verses, I just can't tell you where they are and sometimes I can't remember all of them. That's my way of "hiding them in my heart". Welcome to today's verse - I believe I need to make it one of my priorities. If I can remember lines to classic movies, lyrics to songs and look at a picture and give you series, season and episode (followed up with the dialog that went with the still shot) of a television show - I can commit scripture to memory! I guess I'll be putting a little more effort into that.

The answers we need to everything in life all lie within the binding of a very old book. God has those words written so that we could read them. They weren't put there as a means to avoid a speeding ticket by having it on the floor in the back of your truck. They weren't put there to read occasionally when you forget to take the newspaper with you, and they weren't written to lull you to sleep at night. They were written to be studied and applied to your daily life. Once we've read it, it doesn't go on the shelf with the rest of the odd assortment of self-help books, love stories and history books. This particular book is all of that rolled into one and each time you read it, you find something new!

I love to read the New Testament simply because it talks about Jesus! It tells the story of his life here on earth and the promises that pertain to my eternal life. I can pretty much pronounce all the names of the people and towns. When I read that portion of the Bible, I can imagine being there and these people come to life in my mind. I read the Old Testament, but I tend to get lost in the names of the towns and the Kings and the dozens of offspring with names I can't even begin to pronounce. Even the little pronunciation books don't help me. I stumble through it and trip over it, but I do read it!

So, now that we are almost at the end of the "Forty Day Challenge", I have a new one! For the next six weeks (which will bring us to the end of March), commit one verse each week to memory - the verse itself, book, chapter and verse number. There is one that you must learn (John 3:16) but the rest are up to you! There will not be a test, but again, I will post a discussion page on Facebook for you to comment on. The other blog spots, comments will be posted and on my "official" website, emails sent to me will also be posted.

Take the time to get to know the word of God - hide it in your heart and let it be (as is written in Psalm 119) a lamp unto your feet, and a light unto your path!!!