Sunday, February 27, 2011

~ "Glorious Day..."


For the Lord himself shall descend from heaven with a shout, with the voice of the archangel, and with the trump of God: and the dead in Christ shall rise first (1 Thes 4:16)

Once again, God has another plan. You would think I'd have learned by now that I should not "plan ahead" when it comes to what the Lord lays on my heart to write.

This morning will be my last Sunday morning at my church here in Tennessee. The people I've worshiped with for almost a year now will remain here as I travel to my new home. There are so many thoughts that come to mind as I think of the path that brought me there in the first place. Without each event taking place as it did, I would never have even approached the front door to that sanctuary. I was angry and bitter and was convinced that I did not need "fellowship" because it only served as a vehicle for pain and suffering, sorrow and distrust. I was wrong. Satan tried and tried but God had his hand on me. It had been there for quite some time and he was not letting go! You see, being raised in the belief that I was "guaranteed" heaven and that there was no "action" required on my part other than to do what the hierarchy of the church decreed, I was under the mistaken assumption that I was automatically "saved". Not so. I had all the knowledge, I knew all the right words, and I knew how to put them in perspective. What I didn't have was the humility to kneel before Christ and ask him in. In that moment, my life changed. In that moment, I was lifted up into the mercy and grace afforded the family of God. Had I not experienced the devastating blow that caused me to leave one church and seek another, I would never have realized God's plan for me.

We all think we know. We believe so therefore we are saved. May I remind you that Satan believes! Belief is not enough. Submission to his word, his commands and his laws are the beginning, the acceptance - full acceptance of Jesus Christ, is the ONLY way in. Through him, and only through him are we afforded the opportunity to spend eternity with God. We aren't guaranteed it by birth, or through the church we attend. It is a choice that we make and a promise we fulfill. It is through prayer and worship that we become closer, it is through the reading and study of his word that we come to know him. It is through Christ's death and resurrection that we are offered the gift. There is no other way.

Today I KNOW where I will spend my eternity. I no longer "assume" that because of who I am or where and how I was raised that my name will be in the book of life. I KNOW it's there. Those of you who aren't sure, those of you who "think" you know...think again! I would rather lose all of my friends and family by standing up for God than to stand before God with my friends and family and be told I was not known to him. What I lose here on earth will be made right before God. I just have to stand firm and be patient.

Give yourself over to the will of God! Hit your knees and ask Jesus in! Be one who will rise on that glorious day when the trumpet sounds and spend eternity in heaven with him!

(photo by Angie Campbell)