Monday, September 3, 2012

~ "Whistle while you work..."

Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain. (1 Cor 15:58)

Working for the Lord is probably the only job that has benefits that are out of this world! When God wants you, there is nothing you can do to change his mind. He will keep at you until you give in. If you tell him "no", he'll send someone to remind you that you committed your life to him and he expects a full day's work from you. There are no days off, no holidays and IF you get paid (monitory, that is), it's not that great. You are always on call. 

Being a Christian means working for Christ - spreading his word, doing his work, and doing it with a smile on your face. It's not just feeding the hungry, building shelter for the homeless, or even preaching a sermon on Sunday morning. It's living a life that exemplifies everything that IS Christ. It's going that extra mile when someone is hurting, reaching out and offering help to someone less fortunate, and remembering that everyone you meet is looking to you for guidance whether they realize it or not. 

Labor Day in the United States has become a day where we celebrate with cookouts, parades, and beer. We sit around and chow down until we can't fit anything else in our stomaches and increase the revenue of the breweries by about ten percent. It's a day when we applaud ourselves for doing what we have to do day after day - work! Not all of us have that day off from our "paid" jobs; someone has to man the convenience stores, gas stations and the grocery stores for those of you who forgot to pick up the charcoal or the hamburger buns. Most of us are not complaining ~ we get time and a half for today! Some of us are grateful to actually have a job! 

Today, while you're enjoying the last day of summer (technically speaking), remember to thank God for giving you the blessings of your life - your family and your friends, your home, your job! Many have none of these and yet still find something to be thankful for! Everything that comes past me is a blessing in one way or another. It may not seem like that at the time, but there is always something to be learned about what God wants from me through the people I meet and the path I walk. I'm learning that God is all I need! I never understood that until just recently. Jesus fills my life when I allow him to and until HE tells me differently, I will continue to walk in his word, work where he sees fit to use me and accept whatever it is he gives me (or doesn't give me). I am blessed!