Sunday, September 23, 2012

~ "Starry Night..."

The Orion Nebula
Each man should give what he has decided in his heart to give, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver. (2 Cor 9:7)

Why do some grumble on Sunday morning? Why is it we'd rather stay in bed than get up, get dressed and get out? The excuses are many: "I only have two days off from work, I need my sleep"; "I got home late last night;" "I have things I need to do;" or the ever popular "I just need a break this week!" The interpretation of this verse concerns money. It can be applied to all aspects of Christian life. Giving money to your church helps to support it. It pays the bills, it goes to support missions, it pays the pastor's salary (if he's a full time pastor), it helps those in need and it allows for repairs and replacement of the church property. But what about what you give that is intangible? What do you give to help support your church from the gifts God has been so gracious in giving you? Are you a talented musician who could be playing an instrument on a Praise Team? Do you have a voice that could be used to sing hymns and contemporary songs during the service? Are you a financial genius who could be helping them better use the tithes and offerings received? Are you a fluent in sign language and could perhaps translate the message to the deaf (thus drawing them into the service and helping to spread the word to them)? I could go on, but I think you get the idea.

On Sunday mornings, I get out of bed, pour a cup of coffee, and sit at the table and post the worship video for the day on my Facebook page. Usually, I have an idea of what video I'd like to use. Then I find a verse that compliments the video, write the message and post it and THEN I get to go to church! I don't HAVE to go to church, I WANT to go to church! I get excited when I begin to think about what I'm going to learn in Sunday School (yes, I am 55 years old and I still go to Sunday School). I get even more excited when I think about sitting with my friends (and sometimes family) while the preacher delivers his message about God! I look forward to worshiping God!

We are fortunate to live in a country where we can openly worship our God! Too many people in the world cannot. There are places on this blue marble that you can be put to death for owning a Bible. They are smuggled in and buried in the back yard. They come in a page at a time in some places. These Christian commit the verses of the Bible to memory because they have to ~ because that is the only way they can keep it with them at all times! Yet, we still complain and whine!

God loves a cheerful giver! Not just the ones who "cheerfully" place their tithes in the offering plate - the ones who give their time and their talent to rather large task of spreading his word. Give your 'life to the only one who makes the moon reflect the sun'. He's given us so much more than we deserve! Let us be cheerful givers; giving to others what he has so freely given us!

Starry Night - Chris August