Thursday, September 6, 2012

~ "Shoulda, coulda, woulda..."

(photo by Christina White)

If you, O LORD, kept a record of sins, O Lord, who could stand? (Ps 130:3)

I am grateful that God does not keep a record of our sins! If only we could be the same. When we are wronged, we tend to put that iniquity in a pile and save it for another time. The next time, we add to it, and continue and continue. We tell ourselves "I'm gonna give him one more chance" and then when we are hurt again - we cut the ties. 

Imagine if God cut our ties. Where would we be? We can sin (and we do, over and over again), and he will continue to forgive us. We all make many mistakes in our lives. We hurt the people we love and they hurt us. It seems to be a way of life for some. The statement we make is "they'll never change". Not true. If someone comes to know the Lord, all things are possible. Change is an event that does not happen in an instant. It takes time - a four-letter word none of us likes to hear. We want everything to happen now! We sit and we pray and we wait! God teaches us patience through others. Our growth comes by waiting on him. 

In the years since my divorce, I have grown. I have become someone that is pleasing to God. Sure, I stumble and struggle, but my soul has been spoken for. I'm never far from his grace or his love. I know what it is he wants from me and I comply. It's not always the easiest thing to do, but I try.

Giving myself completely to God's work has been the single most important thing I've ever done. Allowing him to work through me gives me joy that is immeasurable. Not everyone is tasked with walking away from everything they have to follow him, but those who are, know that it may not always be sunny, but it is always worth it. What I've given up for Jesus will be returned to me a hundred times over. But with that chosen path, comes temptation, anger and guilt. Each day I ask the Lord to remove these obstacles. Fortunately, God's love is stronger than Satan's desires! God may not mark our sins, but he certainly marks his children. We are the few. 

Reaching our goal is as simple as waking up after a long, healthy sleep. We are rested and refreshed in the Lord every day we walk with him. And that is our goal - to walk with him, to be his, without complaint, without hesitation. Give him the chance to make the changes in your life that need to be made and you will see the changes in those around you!