Monday, September 23, 2013

~ "Let LOVE be..."

Let love be without dissimulation. Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good. (Romans 12:9)

This verse reminds me that love is a good thing.  To have family and friends that truly love you and support you in your bad times as well as your good times is an amazing treasure.  I am blessed to still have my Dad, my sister and her family and some cousins, aunts and uncles, nieces and a nephew. I have four wonderful children who are my world.  I have the most adorable granddaughter.  I have a beautiful daughter-in-law and her family and their spouses, who have been part of my life for over 17 years.  Her mother may as well be my "other" sister.  I have some very close and dear friends who love me regardless, as I do them.  All of them have one thing in common - they love without expectation.  They do not keep score.  They are Christ-like - they are Christians - they are family!

There are also things (and sadly, people) who think nothing of others.  They lie, cheat and steal to get ahead, not even considering who it is they may be hurting in their quest for power or recognition.  There is evil in this world.  It comes in all sizes, shapes, colors, denominations and appeal.  It may be a movie, or a book.  It may be the worship of idols.  It can be disguised as "spiritual" when the spirit it is conjuring is not the Holy Spirit.  It can be the way people are treated.  It can be a lack of respect for God and His laws.  It can be obvious and it can be obscure...but it is still "evil".

So, what do we do about this?  We continue to love the sinner (as Christ does) and hate the sin.  If it is causing you to stray from that which you know is good - move!  Pray for those who would be unconcerned if what they have done has hurt you.  Turn your pain (and I know it hurts) into praise.  Lift your voice even louder to God!  Drown out the voice of the enemy.  Let the Lord heal your hurts.  Love.  Be an example of Christ's love.  No, you probably won't change the world.  You don't have to.  Just change YOU!