Friday, November 30, 2012

~ "All I want for Christmas..."


But now that you know God--or rather are known by God--how is it that you are turning back to those weak and miserable principles? Do you wish to be enslaved by them all over again? (Gal 4:9)

We are all tempted by the trappings of what is referred to as the "good life". Plush surroundings, pleasing appearances and comfort attracts us all. "Oh, I would just love to have that" or "that would make my life so much easier" seem to be the recurring phrases uttered this time of year. I think of the many Christmas gifts that did make my life easier - I now use the line "I remember when I had one of those" because I no longer have many of the wonderful gifts given to me. They've either worn out and were not replaced or they remained with my ex after the divorce. There is a small box of sentimental gifts and a nightshirt (the last gift my mom gave me) that my children will have to dispose of after I'm gone from this world. I've learned to live on very little and to expect nothing. Sure, there have been offers to enjoy a better life, but that would mean to walk away from what I know to be sacred and holy, a life style that has made me a better person. I am not willing to trade it for anything.

Many of us have lived (or are still living) tormented and troubled lives. Many refuse to walk away - out of fear, out of weakness - many stay in horrible relationships hoping for a better outcome. What I've learned is that most people do not change. I have changed. My forgiving nature often gets me into more trouble than I need and my desire for everyone around me to find what I have found often leads me down roads I have no business on, simply because they do not lead to the promises of God, but the lies of man. Why should I or anyone walk away from what is holy and good???

It has been a difficult month, but God has shown me once again that I do not ever want to go back to being enslaved, nor do I want to settle for something other than the best. He will continue to provide for me, I will continue to serve Him. If there is a blessing along the way, I'll take it! If there is a battered bridge in my future, I will cross it with care. If there is love out there for me, it will come. Knowing, or rather being known by God, is by far one of the greatest gifts available. If I have that and nothing else - I have it all!!! I have had a taste from the cup of eternal life and desire to keep it.

If you haven't found that perfect Christmas gift under your tree yet, the chances are that you aren't looking in the right place. Let the lights remind you of the Light of the World who came to earth for you. Let the ornaments that dangle from it's branches remind you of the many creations placed here in His care. That angel or star (either one) that sits on the top of your tree - let that remind you of the lowly and great who came to call on the infant Jesus - all were welcomed and all we afforded the opportunity to meet the Savior. You, too, are afforded that same opportunity. Will you choose to continue to be enslaved by the lies and promises of man or will you accept the truths and promises of God - let Jesus be your guide - let Him be that gift you are searching for!