Tuesday, November 20, 2012

~ "But you promised..."

Remember your word to your servant, for you have given me hope. My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life. (Ps 119: 49-50)
The sufferings we endure on this planet are nothing compared to what Christ suffered, nor will they last forever - eventually they end and we will be in a place that is indescribable!!! God promised!!!

When my children were little (and some of them still do it to a certain extent), if my husband or I "suggested" that we might do something or take them someplace, it automatically was received and computed by their brain in such a way that when the event did not take place the words "but you promised" came rolling off their tongues. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to explain the difference between a "promise" and a "maybe". Fortunately, we both survived their childhoods! 

God gives us promises through his Word. He spared Noah and his family from the great flood, led the Israelites to the Promised Land, protected Daniel in the lion's den, maintained the line of succession for Christ in Esther, sent his son to redeem all mankind from their sin, re-wrote the law to include all people as the "chosen" ones, and he has graciously told us how this story ends so that we will be prepared and have the facts to make an "informed decision" as to whether or not we want to follow! 

God keeps his promises to us! The Holy Spirit leads us and we have a choice - to follow or make our own path! If we choose to remain in his mercy and grace, no matter what the road ahead of us holds, we know what is at the end of it. It is a hard road, no question about it. It's not supposed to be easy. God never promised "easy". We forget why we are here, what it is we are supposed to be doing while we wait. We are to do HIS work! We are HIS servants! Christ, the King of Kings, the God of Heaven and Earth, the healer, the blessed one - came to earth as a servant of all men! He stepped away from his kingdom and was born to the poorest of the poor, in a place neither you nor I would ever consider laying one of our children to sleep - to show us how it is to be done! He is our example! He is the ideal we should be striving for. We will never find complete and utter happiness on earth - only when we reach the grave will we rest and receive our reward! The prayer we all pray at one time or another: "Lord, I just want to be happy" will come! Some of us are blessed and receive some of that "happiness" while on earth - but we are all promised it in the end if we follow the way of the cross! Its not about what he can do for us while we are on earth (we deserve nothing) - it's about what we can do for him while we are here! Our road is harder because our rewards are greater...

God's promise does preserve my life - my eternal life! Whatever I have here on earth is a blessing to see me through until that promise is fulfilled! He will give me what I need to make that journey so long as I believe, hold fast to the faith he's given me through the Holy Spirit and serve and worship him!