Monday, February 6, 2012

~ "Thou shalt not kill..."


Before I formed you in the belly I knew you; and before you came forth out of the womb I sanctified you, and I ordained you a prophet to the nations. (Jer 1:5)

I hope that you have a rather large cup of coffee, because this post will be a little longer than usual.  It comes a few weeks after the 39th anniversary of the "Roe v. Wade" decision and a few weeks before the two year anniversary of the death of a hero.

I tell people all the time (and I write it quite frequently) that God has a plan for each of us.  Our lives are filled with regret and remorse and sometimes we can't imagine that God could forgive some of the horrible things we've done.  As we wander off the path, he makes all things right and sets us back on it, giving us yet another opportunity to be his "prophet".  All things are forgivable.

The words "before I formed you" tell us that we are created by God.  He has formed us with his hands and blessed us and set us apart from every other living creature on the planet.  In both the Old and New Testament, we are reminded over and over that the life carried in a woman's body belongs to GOD!  Just as we do!  She is the vessel by which it comes to be born.  The choices made need to reflect the will of God.

I am not a perfect being.  I have children waiting for me to hold them.  I am forgiven.  In the years following the landmark abortion decision, Norma McCorvey (Jane Roe), stated that she felt her case, "which legalized abortion on demand, was the biggest mistake of [her] life".  The same options that allowed me to have a "baby sister" still exist today!  Adoption, when handled through legitimate and reputable agencies, is the greatest gift you can give your unborn child - because you have given that child a chance to live!  

Over 55 million lives have been taken through abortion.  How many "Einsteins" have we thrown away?  How many great leaders have we killed out of convenience?  

There is one angel in heaven who chose to ignore the doctor's suggestion to have an abortion and to carry a child.  She suffered with Cancer and was told she could die or they both could die.  Today she rests with God, but her almost 3 year old little boy thrives!  Cancer eventually took her life, but not before she could leave a legacy of love and hope for others.  I never had the privilege to meet her, but I have had the opportunity to get to know her - through her friends, through her husband and through her son!  

What follows is a letter, read from the pulpit of my church on January 23, 2011.  It is re-printed with permission of the author.  I know that someone reading today's post has an important decision to make.

"When I was 25, I became pregnant, and I wasn't married. The man was an ex-boyfriend who had been manipulative and controlling. Because of his treatment of me, I had broken up with him and turned down his proposal of marriage. his violent and vengeful spirit turned on me, and when he got the chance, he held me down and forcefully raped me. He told me that since he couldn't have me, he didn't want anyone else to have me and that no man would ever want a woman who had been raped. I stupidly believed him, so I didn't say anything to anyone.

When I found out I was pregnant, I hate to admit that abortion did cross my mind. I am glad to say that I never seriously considered it. My mom was very supportive, but my dad didn't believe I was really raped, and after my mom passed away, he turned his back on me. Since he didn't believe me, I assumed no one else would, so I kept silent about the facts. Those who loved me loved me regardless, and several of my friends rightly guessed what happened without my having to tell them.

Because of his violent nature, I have kept the man out of my son's life and have not received child support. Abortion would have been the easy choice. Many people, even Christians would say that it was justified, given the circumstances. I could have avoided embarrassment, abandonment, and financial difficulties, but I would have missed out on the greatest gift in my life. It hasn't been easy, but God has always provided for us, and now He has given us a whole new family at Charity Baptist Church.

I've learned that when you follow God's Word, He will bless you beyond your wildest imaginations. I don't want to think of how empty my life would be without my son."

Make the right choice...choose LIFE!