Saturday, December 24, 2011

~ "The night before Christmas..."


But Jesus called the children to him and said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of God belongs to such as these. (Luke 18:16)
 
Last year, I had the opportunity to enjoy an evening with my "Tennessee" family.  Good food and laughter are always a part of that experience.  There’s the most adorable three year old (who we will call "G") who never ceased to make me smile ~ and her grandmother (who is like a sister to me) and would I usually end up laughing ourselves into either a painful spasm or the need to change our clothing.  Those of you old enough to remember Art Linkletter will remember the the TV show "Kids Say the Darndest Things".  "G" is no exception!  She would undoubtedly win the prize!  Her innocence and her imagination have brought so much joy into my life!  She told me about Santa Clause making her toys at the North Pole and that it's baby Jesus' birthday.  In those moments I was taken back in time and I remembered my own children anxiously awaiting "Santa".
 
Jesus tells us the kingdom of heaven belongs to those "such as these".  They are trusting of those who care for them, they believe in what they have not seen, they do their best to be "nice" and not "naughty" (for they know there will be coal in their stocking if they are naughty).  They don't hold grudges, they do not put on aires.  They are satisfied (for the most part) with what they have and are grateful for what they are given.  They live in the moment.  They love unconditionally.  
 
Amazingly enough, we must trust God (for he cares for us), we must do our best and believe that Christ's blood has redeemed us (for we know there is a hell waiting if we do as we please). We are to be forgiving, we are to be humble.  We should be satisfied with the blessings we have and those we continue to receive.  We must always be prepared for he will come "like a thief in the night".  We should love unconditionally.  The spirit of Christmas is in the joy of giving ~ God gave us Jesus!