Friday, November 25, 2011

~ "Tis the season to be greedy and beat people to death over a pair of socks..."


And the angel answered and said to her, The Holy Ghost shall come on you, and the power of the Highest shall overshadow you: therefore also that holy thing which shall be born of you shall be called the Son of God. (Luke 1:35)
 
When people talk about putting "Christ" back in "Christmas", I wonder if they realize that to do that would require people to to not kill each other on "Black Friday"?  We have become so obsessed with "bargains" that a day of insanity ensues immediately following a day of giving thanks!  My oldest daughter has already posted that crazy people are standing in the rain all the way around the department store she works at and that there were two fights outside (most likely over a spot in line) and one inside - it's not even 7am yet!  I don't think this is what God had in mind when he gave us our Christmas "gift"! And might I add that I do not miss being in retail, especially today!
 
Imagine, if you can, the fear in Mary when the angel appeared to her and told her she was going to have a child and he would be the Son of God!  Imagine Joseph when he was told in his dream that Mary was "with child" and he should take her as his wife anyway, then to be told the child's name would be "Jesus"!  I know that when I realized I was pregnant with my son, I "knew" how I got that way, but yet I wandered around saying to myself "it can't be" ~ "I can't be pregnant".  Mary had no such encounter to cause her condition!  
 
God chooses us for specific work.  He knows exactly what he has for us, just as he knew that he had the "perfect" gift for us!  He chose Mary to be the mother of Jesus, Joseph to be his guardian and John to be the one to "prepare the way".  None of them asked for this gift , nor did they feel they were worthy of it.  Instead, they accepted what God gave them and said "thank you" and proceeded to do the best they could with the situation laid out before them.  Their "success" came as a result of their attitude; an attitude of love and devotion to God and a willingness to do what he asked of them!  
 
How much better off we would be to take a lesson in acceptance and love from these three people.  Sometimes the best gifts are the ones we don't deserve and never expected!  We all have a "wish list" for Christmas gifts.  If I don't get what's on it, I won't be disappointed.  The ultimate Christmas gift was given to me long before I was ever born, it was chosen specifically for me and I would not trade it for anything!  He IS the "reason for the season" because it is HIS birth we celebrate!  There is nothing anyone could buy for me that could top that!  So while you are wrapping all those wonderfully expensive items you've purchased, remember to wrap your heart around the greatest of gifts ~ Jesus!