Thursday, November 3, 2011

~ "False or false..."


For many will come in my name, claiming, 'I am the Christ,' and will deceive many. (Matthew 24:5)

It is not as important to know when (exact time and date) as it is to be prepared. Living God's way consistently, being ready is much more logical (if you want to impose logic on anything spiritual). The disciples had asked Jesus for a sign of his coming and of the end of the world. Jesus' first response was that they "take heed that no man deceive you". When we look for signs, we become susceptible to being deceived. There are "false prophets" with counterfeit signs of spiritual power and authority. Focus on Christ and His word. Look at Christ!

There are many who preach the Word of God. There are many who are humble and pure in heart and do it for the Lord, and not for the notoriety or the accolades that often comes with it. There are those, too, who do too much. And then there are those who put their own "spin" on things, denouncing other very qualified preachers simply out of jealousy (yes, I did just use that word) and their own twisted desires to reinterpret and denounce certain forms of praise. Praise is praise - if you are praising God, it doesn't make a difference if you do it in your jeans or in a three-piece suit. It doesn't matter if your hymns were written 200 years ago or are on the Billboard Charts. I have heard some "TV Evangelists" who preach the word of God and I've heard some I wish I had not. I've heard some sermons in church that made me sit up and ask "is he for real???"

All religions have their own "rules" and quasi-interpretations on the Word of God. Some of their stuff makes me wonder if they've even read the book. I look to the Bible to answer those questions. I look to the commentaries (not just one, although I do like Matthew Henry's writing style) to help me discern what is written. I sit and listen for the Lord to enlighten me (which, He does). I don't generally stay in one place too long, simply because I am still hungry for His word. Being fed spiritually means to be nourished by His word, not sitting stagnant waiting to die. We all need nourishment in one form or another. We need to be open to the teachings of God as well as it's interpretation. We need to be listening.

So, open your ears and your heart to the Word of God. Don't be deceived by those who preach only joy and heaven for all. Don't allow yourself to fall into the trap of "religion" - fall into the waiting arms of Jesus! Let Him guide you, left Him show you, let your heart find comfort in His word and not anger or anxiety. He's a loving God - let Him love on you a little. You deserve it! Be careful, though, there are those who will try to deceive you - more than you know!!!