Sunday, January 23, 2011

~ "Better than a Hallelujah..."


But let all those that put their trust in you rejoice: let them ever shout for joy, because you defend them: let them also that love your name be joyful in you. (Ps 5:11)

There are days when all we can do is cry. The words of worship do not come. Our hearts become so tortured and battered that we cannot find the a place of comfort anywhere. That is when our faith must take over and lift us up.

Our cry for help, often filled with more despair and remorse than we'd like to admit, is what God expects from us. Sometimes faith we have is ALL we have. Faith that he will not abandon us, faith that his word is true, faith in his promises. When we cry out to him through our tears, we are praying the purest prayer imaginable. Through those tears we bring our most urgent requests to him. Those prayers come straight from our hearts.

What I've learned in my walk with Christ is that it isn't about anything I could possibly do to earn the mercy and grace of God. It's a gift freely given and accepted. He doesn't bless me because of anything I've done, he doesn't punish me for things I've not done. It's not about me. Its about the cross and what happened there so long ago. The way I live my life reflects what happened on Calvary, but it does not open that door to heaven. Jesus did that! Attempting to make all my past mistakes right is not possible, nor is it expected. I am forgiven of it all and encouraged to walk the straight path which leads to him! How much better off this world would be if we could all learn to forgive and accept.

So, when the words do not come, when you are certain that you are all alone and left to fend for yourself, remember that if you put your trust in God, you will rejoice and shout for joy - you will be defended and you are most definitely loved! His love for you is greater than any pain you bear or any suffering you endure!

[Suggested Scripture reading for January 23, 2011 - Gen 15-17]