Wednesday, November 17, 2010

~ "Well, that door's been slammed and nailed shut...thank you, Lord!!!"


Let nothing be done through strife or vainglory; but in lowliness of mind let each esteem other better than themselves. (Phil 2:3)

Sometimes I have to read the NIV verson to understand the verse - Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.

To say that I had a rough day yesterday would be an understatement. God closed a door on me. It was suggested to me that I dive into Philippians (which, of course, I did). I found some verses take on a whole new meaning last night, this being one of them!

No matter what anyone tells you, no matter how much they try to convince you otherwise - you know your own heart! There are times when we can almost (and I do mean almost) be convinced that we are all the things someone else sees us as. We question every single action and the motive for each action over and over again - convinced that there is something wrong with us. It never really occurs to us that it's the other person there is something wrong with!

God has in mind for us something so special, so perfect that we sometimes don't want to look for it, or risk finding it because it would require us to work. Accepting what is comfortable, what we know, what we become use to is so much easier, even if its the worst thing in the world for us! Sometimes we aren't willing to close a door, so God closes it for us.

I've never had a problem with the second part that verse. I have always placed others above my own needs, my own wants and looked on them as "better". The first part, I had to work on. We always want credit where credit is due. I've learned that all of what I do is noticed, not by anyone on this planet (or any other one, for that matter). What I do is for God's glory - his praises, not for any pats on the back, or accolades of appreciation. I give to God who gives to me. Sometimes it's easy, sometimes its not.

In everything you do today, do it for the glory of God. Give him all of you, not just the parts of you that are hurting. And don't forget to thank him for that hurt as well, it is there that our crowns are made. Hold on to the faith that Paul tells about in Philippians - the chains that bind us will also set us free! It's not your time to go home yet - there's still work to be done here!