Tuesday, November 30, 2010

~ "Corrupt family values..."


The fool has said in his heart, There is no God. Corrupt are they, and have done abominable iniquity: there is none that does good. God looked down from heaven on the children of men, to see if there were any that did understand, that did seek God. Every one of them is gone back: they are altogether become filthy; there is none that does good, no, not one. (Ps 53:1-3)

Who am I to argue with God? When he wakes me up at 3am and knows that even though I say to him "don't worry, I'll remember" (which he and I both know I wouldn't have) and gives me a title to search out (and a private verse for myself). I scramble for a pad and pen to write it down so I can return the to slumber he gives me.

The purpose of this Psalm is to convince us of our sins. Why are some so bad? Because they do not fear God! Our bad "practices" come from bad "principles". The fruit of sin; to what it brings men, when their hearts are hardened through the deceitfulness of sin." (Matthew Henry) God is merciful towards sinners who believe! He will save us from our own sins, that we may not be held captive by them. From this, the Redeemer, "and you shall call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins. (Matt 1:21)"

Is there a such thing as being "too bad to be saved"? Not as far as I can see. God has taken persecutors and turned their hearts! He has turned the hearts of thieves, murderers, prostitutes, liars, and atheists! When we come before him, what saves us from the fires of hell is Jesus! He wraps that clean robe around us and tells the Father that he "knows" us! We are chosen! We are loved! We are entrusted with spreading the Good News. It is for those who do not know the cross that we are to witness to. We can fellowship with our brothers and sisters in Christ, but we aren't winning any souls for him there. We can draw our strength from those with whom we attend church. We can impart our own testimony to them when they are in need of strength, but their souls have already been claimed!

I often questioned God as to why I must go to work with those who do not know him nor fear him. The "unsaved" have a tendency to try to "draw you in" to their Godless world by means of tasteless humor, gossip, ridicule and anger. God had two purposes for that. The first was to open my eyes to what it means to have to struggle to put food on my table and pay my bills (allowing me to see my ex-husband's life as it were, not to mention showing me how greedy and selfish I really was) and the second was to afford me the opportunity to witness to the goodness that is God! Only then could I successfully climb down off that pedestal I'd placed myself on. Whatever I am, I am still a sinner! Yes, God's love has changed me but I still have a long way to go in the humility department.

My children hate it when I witness to them, and I've tried to temper that witnessing, holding back what the Lord has laid on me to do! They generally begin a conversation in which they are asking for advice with "Please don't tell me about what God says..." and reluctantly I don't. Why? Because I want my children to come to me. Guess what? God wants my children to come to him as well! He wants everyone to come to him! The unbeliever or unsaved cannot attain salvation through osmosis...yes, the basics of God can be absorbed in their minds, but to be saved requires the acceptance of Christ's death on the cross as the "saving grace" and not just saying the words! A sincere plea for forgiveness and an invitation to the Holy Spirit to begin his work is the beginning of God's fulfillment of his promise!

Take that next step in your walk with Christ! Reach out, even if it's just a little bit, test the waters if you must, but move forward in the work he has set before you! Have a little faith ~ he know's what he's doing, even if you don't!