Thursday, September 25, 2014

~ "The sum of the whole..."

"Therefore, my beloved brethren, be ye stedfast, unmoveable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, forasmuch as ye know that your labour is not in vain in the Lord."  (1 Cor 15:58)

Standing firm.  Letting nothing move you.  Giving yourself fully to the work of the Lord because you know that any work done in his name is never in vain.  This verse is one of foundation.  A foundation for a Christian life.  If you apply these words to your life every day, you will be an example of courage and faith.

When we begin our "new" path with Jesus, the old is consumed by the new.  Yes, what we were before still remains, but our life with Jesus leading takes us away from the events that brought us to our knees in the first place.  The sins of the past are forgiven.  We are given the opportunity to move forward, doing everything for the glory of God, for the blessings he bestows and for the mercy and grace he provides.  Often, those in our past, cannot grasp the full meaning of our calling to serve and truly feel that anything that does not portray them as "holy and perfect" is cause for rebuttal and retaliation.

Everything that has happened in our life makes us who we are.  It's not just what we did when we were 15, nor is it just what we did when we were 30.  We are whole.  We are the sum of all the parts of our past and present.  Who I was 40 years ago may not be who I am today, but those experiences still remain very much a part of me.  Having accepted Jesus as my Savior, I have given my life to his work.  I don't profess to be perfect. The experiences of my past are what the Lord uses to teach me.  They are what he uses to inspire me when I write.  They are the instrument used to reach out to those who are struggling, regardless of what those who feel that my testimony has "thrown them under the bus" may think.

I stand firm.  I let nothing move me away from God and his grace.  I give myself fully to his work for his glory, not mine.  Live each day as a testimony to the power of God in your life!