Thursday, September 11, 2014

"...'I still have a long way to go.'"

"But he that glorieth, let him glory in the Lord.  For not he that commendeth himself is approved, but whom the Lord commendeth." (2 Cor 10:17-18)

Receiving a commendation is always an honor.  It means that something we've done has attracted the attention of others and was so outstanding that it merits recognition.  It wouldn't mean as much (and would probably mean less) if one could nominate themselves for this distinction.  Additionally, boasting about any award that does not recognize the hand God has had in the accomplishment, would tend to make the recipient appear to be somewhat insolent.

There was a man who never sought out recognition for any of the things he'd done for his fellow man.  He lost his life doing for others (as was his way).  In the years since 9/11, Chuck Costello has had a building named in his honor, a street named for his sacrifice and countless other similar honors bestowed on him.  He would have wanted the glory to go to God.

Written in his own hand and now etched in his family's heart are these words:
God is an all knowing and loving God. I don’t profess that I understand all that he does and why. For I see life as a real challenge in many ways. Over the time of forty four years I’ve learned lessons, yet there are many, many, I’ve yet to learn or will never understand. I believe in both God the Father and his son Jesus Christ. I truly believe but for the Grace of God go I. Although I find life hard at times, and a struggle, I’m grateful for all that I have. Although I don’t show it at times or sound like a man of content, for the most part, I am. The meaning of human life to me is just plain learning to love. I feel learning to love is the key to all life, and yet I feel this lesson has been one for me where I still have a long way to go. My faith has taught me to believe in what I believe in. It has seen me through many situations in the past and I believe it will carry me into the future. (Chuck Costello)

Chuck's belief carried him into a burning structure that would take his life on September 11, 2001.  He did what he did because of the love he spoke about.  Looking back, Chuck never "had a long way to go" - he was completely and most definitely showing a love for others that day that compares only to that of the first responders.  He was not one of them, yet he stood with them and worked side by side to free trapped passengers of both the north and south towers of the World Trade Center that beautiful September morning in 2001.

Take a lesson from Chuck's life.  Let your faith be the foundation for love.  Let your heart know no limits when it comes to that love and give glory to God for every single thing you accomplish.