Wednesday, September 17, 2014

~ "Discipline..."

"My son, despise not the chastening of the Lord; neither be weary of his correction: For whom the Lord loveth he correcteth; even as a father the son in whom he delighteth." (Prov 3:11-12)

Discipline means "to teach and to train".  It sounds negative because some disciplinarians are not loving.  I raised four children.  When they didn't do what they were supposed to do, when they did something they shouldn't have, when they said things that weren't appropriate for them to say - they heard, and sometimes felt what's been termed as "the wrath of Mom".  Often, after being told they were grounded, I would hear the words "you hate me".  Ah, little did they know that if I didn't love them, they would be allowed to do whatever it was they wanted.  I was not interested in being their friend - I was their parent.

Today that's changed.  Yes, I am still their Mom, but I've now become their friend as well.  Knowing when to stop the "active" parenting and let them go it on their own is not something that's easily accomplished.  Not everyone can let go.  Some parents never do!  I still tell them when I think they are making a mistake, and I offer advice (only when asked, for the most part).  I rejoice with them in their successes and comfort them in their failures.  I listen.  Not all parents do that, either.

Our Heavenly Father reminds us that we are still "children" in his eyes - HIS children.  He is the source of all love.  He doesn't punish us because he enjoys inflicting pain on us, but because he is deeply concerned about our development.  In order to become morally strong and good, we must learn the difference between right and wrong.  His loving discipline enables us to do this.

Let that "moral compass" point you in the direction for faith and love.  Take comfort in God's mercy and grace.  Pray for guidance and wait...he's listening!