Tuesday, July 10, 2012

~ "The tolling of the iron bell calls the faithful to their knees..."

The LORD is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever. (Psalm 23)

Often, this Psalm is read at a funeral. It is filled with joy and love and peace. It reminds me that God will take care of me and there is nothing I will ever want for (need, actually) that He will not provide. He gives me emotional rest when I am weary. He continually forgives my sins and cleanses my soul. I walk in his ways and and his truth. Although my physical body will die, I will not - I will go on to everlasting glory with him. 

We must all die a physical death. "No one gets out alive" - a phrase repeated so many times that I don't even know who to quote it to! But one did! Jesus! He conquered death through his resurrection! He is in full body and soul on his throne in heaven. He will come to us again! He comforts us in our time of loss, in our time of need, in our time of great sorrow and he will share in our joys and our crowns in his kingdom.

As I wrote in my book, we all die when it is God's time - the question "why such a young person" is easily answered. It was in God's time. Sure, you can rationalize it away with logic and "human" reasoning, but it will not change the fact that it was on that day, at that moment, that the Lord chose to call them home. Be it by sickness, accident, suicide, homicide, or act of war - their time here on earth ended at God's calling. That is why I say to you that you have no time to waste! No one knows the exact hour of their death except the father. 

Praise God for his works! Thank Jesus for the gift of his life for ours! Reach out and tell those around you that you love them because tomorrow may be too late! 

In John Donne's poem "For Whom the Bell Tolls", he tells us that "Each man's death diminishes me, for I am involved in mankind. Therefore, send not to know for whom the bell tolls, It tolls for thee." Be reminded that our time is here and now - not tomorrow, or the next day! The death of a loved one is a gripping reminder of that! Don't let this moment pass you by without thanking God for each and every person (good or bad) he's placed in your life and for all the things he has so freely given you!