Wednesday, July 11, 2012

~ "How do I love you???"

I urge, then, first of all, that requests, prayers, intercession and thanksgiving be made for everyone—(1 Tim 2:1)

We've all read (or at least heard) Elizabeth Barrett Browning's Sonnet 43. With all that we have within us, we love. We pray for those we love. We lift them up to the Lord in their grief and pain. But what about those who are not loved ~ the ones despised by society? Who prays for them? Should we pray for them? 

In 1 Timothy 2, we are commanded to pray for all of mankind! While reading Isaiah yesterday, it occurred to me that I pray that God will touch the hearts of those I love who have not yet realized the full measure of his love for them. A very evil little man's image came into my mind; one with a swastika carved into his forehead. His vicious and heinous crimes put this country in a panic in the late 60's. I think it is safe to assume that we all will agree (with the exception of my ex-husband) that this man is right where he belongs - in jail, in solitary confinement, until the day he dies! He perpetrated 2 of the most horrific crimes scenes ever. He gave the order for the brutal murders of 8. His conviction was for conspiracy to commit murder (hence, my ex's ongoing sentiment that "he never killed anyone"). Does anyone pray for HIS conversion? 

There are many, many murders, rapists, and sociopaths in the world today that we forget are also children of God. No, I'm not inviting them to Christmas dinner, nor would I want them to date one of my daughters. But I will pray for them! Remember that God sees sin as sin - no greater and no less! Hard to swallow sometimes, I know - that these unrepentant humans have the same grace and blessings waiting to be bestowed on them as we have! Is their soul less important to God than yours? Did he not create us all in his image? Does he not want to share the glory with all of us? 

Whether they are lost completely, only God knows. We have a responsibility as Christians to pray for ALL PEOPLE (not just the ones we like). Add someone to your prayer list today that you think is a hopeless case, someone you think could NEVER receive the Holy Spirit into their lives! You never know, they just may come to know Christ as their Savior ~ which is what it's all about anyway!