Friday, July 13, 2012

~ "Homeward bound..."


Whom have I in heaven but thee? and there is none upon earth that I desire beside thee. (Ps 73:25)


Recently I've been informed of deaths of friends and acquaintances - some old, some young, some younger still! People touch our lives and we are never the same. The memories their deaths stir in us make us happy and sad at the same time. We are grateful for the time we've spent with them and we are sad for ourselves that they will no longer be a part of our lives. Some deaths are expected and others are not. But as I've said before, each death is in God's time. It is at his command that we die. 

When I think in terms of my own death, I do think of my family and friends who have already died and are in heaven with the Father. But the reality to me is that it won't really matter. My eyes will be so fixed on Jesus that my entire being will want or need nothing else. We think of heaven in human terms, but we will no longer be human! We will have that new body promised to us and not only will we be with Jesus - we will be with GOD! 

What an awesome thought! To be in HIS presence and look upon him and know that we may not have been all we could have been on earth, but did what he asked us to do and have inherited his eternal grace! 

We all long to see loved ones lost, and we will - but again, I don't think it will matter - being in the heavenly expanse with God will be so much greater than we could have ever imagined! We talk about the "angels" we have looking down on us to comfort us and others - but we've always had someone greater watching over us, guiding our footsteps and waiting for us to come to him ~ we have God, who created us; Jesus, who died for us; and the Holy Spirit, who enlightens us! What could be more comforting than that?