Tuesday, August 19, 2014

~ "Scorned..."

"Surely he scorneth the scorners; but he giveth grace unto the lowly."  (Prov 3:34)

Bullying?  Maybe...maybe not.  I saw a video this morning that brought tears to my eyes.  A group of 5th grade boys found out their 6 year old waterboy was being made fun of because of his clothing choice and his stutter.  They stood up and were counted.

Bullying is nothing new - it's been going on since I was in grammar school and I would venture a guess that it goes back even farther than that.  Ignorant, immature and inconsiderate people find it appropriate to laugh at others for whatever reason.  They are hurtful with a purpose and feel a sense of accomplishment when they have succeeded in making another human being cry.  Wow.

My mother gave me a piece of advice back then that has stayed with me.  "They laughed at Jesus, too."  Although that was not very much comfort when I was being made fun of, it helps as I look back and see that I allowed those people to have power over my life.  Power they didn't deserve.  Today I see things a little differently.  Today I see things through a different set of eyes.  God tells us to love all people regardless of their appearance, their walk in life or their beliefs.  If you remember, Jesus hung out with the prostitutes and the tax collectors.  He walked with the sinners.

I am one who has been given grace.  Are you???