Wednesday, November 27, 2013

~ "23 years ago..."

A woman when she is in travail hath sorrow, because her hour is come: but as soon as she is delivered of the child, she remembereth no more the anguish, for joy that a man is born into the world. (John 16:21)

The joy of holding your child causes you to forget the pain (usually).  I have four children.  Each labor and delivery was different.  Each birth was different.  The most difficult labor, delivery and recovery came on this day in 1990.  Five weeks before she was due and ten days after my mother-in-law died, Kathryn Elizabeth made her entrance into the world at 4:55am, weighing 5 lbs 8oz.  My beautiful little bundle, named after her Grandma, was not only a blessing to my husband and I, but to a family who had just lost the single most important member of their family - their mother.  As my sisters-in-law tried to call her "Kathy", my father-in-law, then in his early 70's, picked her up and said "Hello, Baby Katie".  My husband and I had already decided she would be "Katie".  

Over the years, she would cause me to roll my eyes and shake my head.  Katie always danced to the beat of her own drum (even in dance classes).  Her infectious smile, her giggle and her dark, dark eyes could melt your heart.  They still can!  

God had blessed us with Katie as well as her sisters and brother.  He entrusted her to our care.  Some days were challenging, some days were frightening and some days were pure joy!  She has never disappointed us.  Her loving and caring nature is unbelievable at times...but don't cross her!  

Each child God gives you, he does for a reason.  Some he chooses to take home before we are ready to let go.  Hold tight to the gifts he gives you.  Teach them.  Show them.  Love them.  They are one of his greatest gift to you!!!