Friday, January 25, 2013

~ "Holding out for the real deal..."


Knowing, brothers beloved, your election of God. (1 Thes 1:4)

God loves us. He loves us so much that he sent his son to die on the cross for us. Did we deserve it? Absolutely not! Do we realize it? Some of us do - some don't. Will we answer for our sins? I believe we will. We will go before the God of Heaven and have to account for what we've done, what we've failed to do and why. At the thought of that prospect, the first thing that comes to mind is fear! The good news - we've already been forgiven so there will be no "punishment" (unless, of course, you aren't saved - then you're in over your head) - we couldn't possibly sustain the punishment for our sins. Jesus took care of that for us.

In a discussion yesterday, I told of the thoughts that often cross my mind about reaching heaven. The sorrow that fills my heart sometimes is overwhelming. I am sorry for the hurts I've caused, the lies I've told, the life I led. I realized the mistakes I've made and know that I cannot undo them and can't get that precious time that I spend away from God back. I even went so far as to admit that at times, I want to be there to see the judgement of those whom I have continually begged to "get right" stand before Almighty God and try to explain why they chose not to listen. That, I believe, will be the final validation of my work on this planet. Those thoughts do not last long because that is not why I do this. I don't write to see souls condemned to hell, I write to see souls saved to Christ. In a second look at that situation, I become grief stricken at the thought of those who choose not to acknowledge they are sinners and in need of God's mercy and grace burning in hell for all of eternity.

The ventriloquist who came to my church in Tennessee gave us a likening to eternity...imagine a bird filling up the Grand Canyon. He will fly from San Diego with one grain of sand in his beak, drop it in the ravine, fly back to the beach and repeat the process until the entire canyon is filled. When he has finished that task, my friends, is just the beginning of the time we will spend in Eternity.

God has chosen you to be part of the few. He wants you to come to him on your knees and offer him praise and thanksgiving for all he's done for you. He wants you to rely totally on him for all things in your life (something I, myself, am having a hard time with right now). Having the faith of Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego and truly believing He will provide and take care of you is one of the greatest examples of a faith to strive for. I want faith like that!

Don't let the words of the mindless influence your walk with God. Don't let those who want to control your thoughts and the way you worship God convince you there is any other way to heaven. There isn't. Do not be an "assembly line" Christian who spouts "canned prayers" and participates in meaningless rituals. Be bold enough to say "no" to those who want you to conform. There are literally hundreds of "cookie cutter" religions, purporting that theirs is the one, true faith. Think for yourself. Question what you've been taught and reach out to the Holy Spirit for the answers! He will enlighten you if your mind is open. Your answers will come. They may even come to you through one of these posts! Be open-minded enough to believe that God uses his people to spread his truth. Read the Bible. If it's not in there - it's not God's word! Be wary of those who change, add to or take away from his Word (Rev 22:18). Above all, have faith and believe! Follow where he leads and you will be led to a beautiful eternity with him!