Sunday, February 10, 2013

~ "Prayer for a Friend..."

I pray not that you should take them out of the world, but that you should keep them from the evil. (John 17:15)

One of my favorite songs, one of my favorite verses.  I have friends whom I've had for years that do not "walk the walk".  They will tell you they are "right" with God, yet all the while they butcher his name (OMG) and selectively obey his rules.  It's heartbreaking.

Last year at this time, we said good bye to the talents of Davy Jones and Whitney Houston.  Each and every day, someone, somewhere says good bye to a loved one.  That pain is immeasurable.  That loss is great.  Some are able to put the pain aside and in perspective, some are not.

There are those, too, who torment and torture us (not literally) so consistently that we believe they'd be "better off dead".  I am embarrassed to say that I know a few of those people.  It was not without much careful thought and reservation that I would pray that God would take them out of the way.  In the many years that have past since feeling that way, I am happy to report that I eventually began to pray that God would change their hearts.  Whether he does or doesn't is no longer an issue - he changed MY heart.  

Yes, there are still those who tend to annoy me, seemingly get in the way of my progress and cause the hair on the back of my neck to stand at attention.  I have a choice today - I pray for them...not that God should take them out of this world, but that he blesses them.  

Do likewise - pray for those who don't seem to know the way - don't give up on them - the Lord didn't give up on you!  

"Prayer for a Friend" ~ Casting Crowns