Sunday, January 5, 2014

~ "Guarded heart..."

Blessed is the man who makes the LORD his trust, who does not look to the proud, to those who turn aside to false gods. (Ps 40:4)

A few years ago I woke up to a busted heat pump on the furnace in my house in Tennessee. I was in bad shape financially and the thought of spending more money on a house I was losing did not appeal to me in the least. Even after fixing it, I still continued to need to use the kerosene heater and the space heater to keep warm through the end of my stay. My firewood had been depleted and my finances taxed severely by "doing the right thing". Although I have plenty of heat this winter, and unemployment to pay my rent and basic necessities, I find I am once again in that same financial boat. "Doing the right thing" is only the right thing when it is blessed by God. There are times when He says "no" and we either refuse to listen or can't seem to muster the courage to tell others "no". God has a plan for each of us, however, those plans do not necessarily overlap with the plans He has for others. The enemy is always lurking and looking to find a way to sabotage the lives of those closest to the Lord.

When we put our trust in God, we can find strength in his promises. When we ask for only what we "need", he will pour out more blessings than we deserve or even expect. He has met my needs and then some! Just like the steps I took to get to this point in my life (most of them hard), He continues to remind me that all things are under His control. There is nothing He sets before me that I cannot overcome, provided I put my trust in Him! 

The attitude of "humility" before Him is what He asks of us. The joy we experience when He answers a prayer is the same joy we are asked to display when a trial is thrown onto our path! Rejoice in it! Thank Him for it and know that you are blessed! He will move the mountains for you. He will guard you and guide your path - if you listen and watch (and trust) for Him. Even if there is a timeframe in which you fall short of your own expectations (He knows the capacity of your love for Him and He knows the failing human heart and spirit), you can rest knowing that you have not been deserted and that He is by your side, always! Don't turn a deaf ear nor a blind eye towards the wonder that is His! Submit to His plan, guard your heart and He will guard your soul.