Thursday, April 26, 2012

~ "Promises, promises...


And every living substance was destroyed which was on the face of the ground, both man, and cattle, and the creeping things, and the fowl of the heaven; and they were destroyed from the earth: and Noah only remained alive, and they that were with him in the ark. And the waters prevailed on the earth an hundred and fifty days. (Gen 7:23-24)

When God "fixed his bow in the sky" after the great flood, he did so to remind us that he would never destroy the inhabitants of earth again by water.  That rainbow is the "sign" attached to the promise.  That sign is also a reminder - a reminder that although it will not be destroyed by water, Christ is coming to back to claim it.  Like anything else miraculous that God does, some people don't see the beauty in the promise, just the beauty in the sign.  

Rainbows are beautiful!  They are one of God's promises to us.  I've noticed a greater number of rainbows in recent years.  When I was a kid, if I saw 3, that was a lot.  Now it seems I see them with greater frequency than ever before.  I'm not going to presume that it means anything, although I know for myself, when I would constantly warn my children and they failed to listen to what I was telling them, they experienced the "wrath of mom".  

Just as the rainbow reminds me of the destruction and a promise, so too, does the cross.  In that one act of unselfishness, Jesus destroyed the barrier that keeps us from God.  His blood washes us clean of our sins and makes us presentable to the Father.  The promise of eternal life comes to light in that one, true sacrifice.  

God's word is true.  His authority is mighty.  His love for us is immeasurable.  He calls out to you now, as he does every day, to turn your hearts and your lives towards him, to do what it is he would have you do.  In the end, he is all that matters.  Just because you don't always see a rainbow, doesn't mean that the promise has been broken.